[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent? Starcraft

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:27:34 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Garry Stahl <tesral at comcast.net> wrote:

> Rather isn't that salable.  Popular?  Everyone here runs it, but who
> last needed to buy any software?  Running openSUSE 11 I have never
> needed to buy software.  I need something that does something I fire up
> Yast and go get it.  That has been the story so far.

I think you're forgetting the central idea to this thread, which was
gaming. You can't fire up Yast and go grab World of Warcraft. I have
played a Free MMOG that I can't recall the name of. It was an
intriguing idea, and the graphics were good, but... it just wasn't
complete. That's the gaping hole in FOSS: great games. It takes more
effort to design a cutting edge game than any team of people is
willing to put into it for free. The games Linux does have tend to be
either lagging behind (i.e. FreeCiv is a clone of a relatively ancient
game) or simply incomplete. Not to mention that any FOSS MMOG is
likely to be missing that first M (Massively) due to marketing issues.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.