[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent? Starcraft

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 13:52:29 EST 2009

Kivio has some maturing to do.

As far as Marketing, Linux will turn the corner when Common PC users and Small Business owners with not much "Computer Techie" experence use it to run their computers.  We are Hearing about Microsoft PC's and Mac's but not Linux. Developers have to know that efforts to migrate and support another OS will return in dollars and cents.  When the game choice selection increses to about 35% of what is on Windows PC's then we know that Linux has steped in a new place in the market.

IBM has met their goal. They Have offered servers with linux and many are obtaining them.  I'm talking the Linux PC Desktop.  Currently I'm working on a few Business Application and I know that Even though I would love to just develop applications for the Linux Desktop I know I have to offer a Wondows version because 95% of my sales will be Windows PC users.

It is a different story with Server applications because IBM has built the confadance of Business consumers in server solutions.  Even the faint of heart IT Managers (That are from Business MIS training) are okay with Linux servers. There are many Linux server software providors that state that their product runs better on Linux.

The Next Step is Desktop PC users.  Vista/xp Home is 125, and Ultamate is 300+, When I get Suse for 59.99 plus shipping and populate 3 - 4 computers and for Windows thats more money than I want to think about.  I'm trying not to Buy every single SUSE release, Just every-other one.

When Software venders are more confident that in the linux market we will see more choices in games and other Software.

David C. Lane