[mdlug] Steam (was: Suggestions for games for an elderlyparent?)

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jan 20 14:42:03 EST 2009

> > From: Aaron Kulkis
>
> > But then he would be dependant upon Valve's financial stability --
> > Steam requires a game to "phone home" to the Steam server before it
> > runs with full capabilities -- which is even WORSE than regular
> > pay-ware.
>
>  Actually, no - you have to "phone home" the first time, and
> it checks for updates after that... unless you select
> "offline mode", in which case it runs just fine after that
> without ever phoning home again, but you get no further
> bugfixes or updates until you take it 'online' again.
>
>  Valve has also pledged to release the keys necessary to run
> Steam games if they ever go out of business, or desupport a
> product. Given their general history, they seem more likely
> to hew to that pledge than nearly any company I can think of.
>
>  And, finally, Valve's doing well enough that I don't foresee
> them going out of business for at *bare minimum* two more
> years, and probably another decade at least.
>
>  Sure, Steam is DRM. However, it's DRM that doesn't assume
> the customer is a pirate until proven otherwise. I find the
> tradeoffs acceptable *for a game*. For more critical software
> it'd be unacceptable.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                                  (313) 227-2317

  Whereas I find the DRM of Steam or any product to be wrong, period. I
don't buy their products because of the phoning home thing. I'd rather buy a
game once and be able to install it on as many PCs as I own, or choose to
own going into the future. I want to hold onto my right to be able to
uninstall that software and then sell it to another gamer second hand.

  Steam, as far as I know, gets specifically in the way of that.

  Which is why I won't spend my money with them. If enough people felt as I
do, then Steam wouldn't exist in the marketplace. However, it appears that
isn't the case. At least for now.

	-Rob