[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent?

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:20:59 EST 2009

Neverwinter Nights (D&D) has a Linux version, and you can get the
"Diamond Pack" (original plus 3 expansions) for $20 at Best Buy. The
box contains the Windows disks, but the instructions on the official
website for making it run natively on Linux are pretty simple to
follow. Not a twitch game at all.

Careful... NWN works on Linux, but NWN2 does not. So far as I know, it
still isn't working under Wine, either.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Ingles, Raymond
<Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
> My dad has asked me for some computer games for his birthday... this
> Sunday. (Oy.)
>
>  He's intelligent and has a sense of humor, but has limited computer
> gaming experience and tends to learn 'computer things' by rote. My
> parents run Ubuntu Linux, so any games I got for them would have to be
> Linux-based or run well under Wine. He's healthy but doesn't have the
> twitch reflexes (or the interest in violence and gore) of the typical
> teenager, so FPS games aren't going to fly.
>
>  He's enjoyed Peggle and a few Flash games. I'm thinking an RTS or a
> turn-based strategy game might work. A driving simulator with a
> force-feedback steering wheel might work, given that it ran well under
> Wine or had a native Linux version.
>
>  So... any suggestions, or genres I haven't come up with?
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317
>
>    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but
>             what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein
> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.