[mdlug] More new hard drive details

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:12:43 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Ingles, Raymond
<Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
>  I had similar problems with some faulty laptop memory. Now, whenever I
> get some new PC hardware, the very first thing I do is run memtest86 on
> it for at least one pass.

I do that also but with the bad Crucial modules it would start failing
intermittently a month or so after installation.  Since the Phenom has
integrated RAM controllers I couldn't tell if it was the CPU,
motherboard, or memory.  I RMA'd all three the first time back to
Newegg as the failures occurred within their return period.  The new
set lasted a few months before it happened again.  I bought a
different motherboard and it still occurred which left either the CPU
or memory as the culprits.  That's when I noticed increasingly bad
reviews with the 2.2V 1066MHz Crucial modules.  I bought Kingston
PC2-6400 ECC modules to replace them.