[mdlug] KDE 4

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 14 03:17:06 EST 2009

The thing that intimidates me about all this auto-magical; stuff is lack
of control, and just assuming that it will all work right. I mean when
it compiles and installs, does it replace your current (working) kernel
with one that you hope will boot? In the old days I would give the new
kernel a name like "vmlinuz-test-001", and put it in the boot menu as
*NOT* the default boot, so I could test it without depending on it
working. I could always boot the old kernel and try again if something
was not right.

Does the new system really assume that every kernel compiled will boot?