[mdlug] KDE 4

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 06:44:48 EST 2009

Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> [...]
>
> In the r20 version, the KDE system tray can be placed anywhere on tool
> bar with a simple click and drag. I prefer mine at the top of a left
> hand (vertical) tool bar. In r21 the system tray will place itself as
> far left on a horizontal tool bar, (or as far down on a vertical one) as
> the existing buttons and icons allow. If you want to move it to the
> right (or up) you must add invisible "spacers" to obtain this "look". In
> this respect r21 is, again just like KDE4.
>
> In the r20 version, selecting the "Personal Settings (Configure
> Desktop)" starts op an executable called 'kcontrol' which presents a
> clear, straight forward, two framed interface with a hierarchical
> arrangement of 10 catagories with a total of 68 modular sub-components,
> many with multiple tabs. Clicking the identical menu button in r21
> starts up an executable called 'systemsettings' that tries to look like
> Windows Control Panel and provides 14 icons providing access to a total
> of 29 sub modules. I could stand the different look here, but the
> paucity of features is intolerable. And again this whole question should
> be a KDE3 vs KDE4 issue, not a minor revision issue.
>
> And to compound this insult, the old kcontrol executable is still there.
> You can start it up and click around all the old, feature rich,
> settings. But none of the ones I tried actually did anything. The
> wallpaper selector couldn't change the wall paper, the tool bar
> placement tool didn't move any tool bars, the system sounds applet
> didn't change the system sound settings, etc., etc., etc. Way to waste
> the end user's time @$$Holes!
>
> In preparing this post I fired up a virtual machine to poke at this "KDE
> 3.5.10 r21.9" and, in between fits of rage, I discovered processes such
> as kdeinit4, kded4, kwrapper4, knotify4, plasma running. Obviously this
> is KDE4 calling itself KDE3.5.
>
> This just leaves me asking "Why?" It's like asking for tea from someone
> who insists that coffee is better than tea, and after an hour of arguing
> with you they relent and say OK you can have tea, and then handing you a
> cup of coffee as if you wouldn't notice the difference.
>
> Analogies aside, where did they learn to treat their customers like
> this, from Microsoft? This is exactly the kind of "you'll take what we
> sell you and learn to like it or shut up." attitude that drive me away
> from Microsoft ten years ago. Either these guys aculturated in the MS
> world, or they are agents provocateur paid by MS to sow dissension in
> the free software community. That might sound far fetched, but who would
> claim that they couldn't be that evil, or that cunning, or lack the
> motivation, or lack the resources.
>
> And how "far fetched" is this situation, this case of pointless bait and
> switch? I mean if the had just repackaged the exact same KDE3.5 that
> they shipped with 11.0. I can't imagine any body would have complained.
> But no! Those arrogant dip sticks know better...

A LOT of the KDE programmers are paid for by Novell.
Perhaps this is the end-game of the Novell/Microsoft deal???

If so, it wouldn't surprise me.
Novell has never really had much of a clue... they are the
most aimless, drifting company I've ever seen.  How they
manage to turn a profit is beyond me.

`