[mdlug] New hard drive

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 12:39:50 EST 2009

Drew wrote:
> Got it at Microcenter at a discount as it was missing the box,
> instructions, and CD; but the plastic wrapper
> was still sealed. Still I figured it behooved me to examine it
> anyway. Knowing that modern hard drives play
> hide-the-sausage with bad sectors and report a perfect disk as long
> as possible, I tried Spinrite 6.0, which
> refused to work with the disk, blaming my BIOS.

Having come across the subject of Spinrite before when
someone said that it's not all that it's cracked up to
be, I read the web page, and I noticed a large amount
of double-talk and jargon used in nonsensical ways.

If a the author of some technical software can't even
explain the software even in technical terms, I kind
of doubt his ability to do what he claims to be doing.

> So I found a rescue image with smartctl on it, specifically RIPLinux,
> actually not a bad distro. (It worked with
> my wireless card out-of-the-box and had Firefox 3.5 among other
> things - too bad it had no printer support
> else I'd consider it as the new main OS. I might anyway.)

I would trust smartctl over spinrite any day.

For one, spinrite refers to obsolete disk storage techniques
(remember RLL and MFM disks), claiming to gain access to
things which are TOTALLY hidden by the drive electronics
of IDE, SCSI, SATA, and SAS disks...basically anything
manufactured in the last 15 years that isn't a floppy.

2nd... smartctl's source code has been inspected by dozens
of people.  I have zero confidence that spinrite's source
code has been looked at by even 3 people.