[mdlug] KDE 4

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:12:47 EST 2009

Michael Mikowski wrote:
> I don't think they are dumbing it down, just they need time to put back features.  This is normal software development, and happened each time KDE has switched versions, although this certainly was the biggest pull-back.  Some features will never come back due to a fundamental redesign.  For example, instead of a separate task bar (as previously mentioned), now one can add as many panels as desired put anything in them.  Yes this is somewhat painful to adjust to, but is a much more elegant and flexible /once/ you figure it out.

They've said that KDE4 was built from scratch, not an updating of the KDE 3
code...but Seigo's blog belies that claim, when he bragged that he
REMOVED the ability to put icons on the desktop.  So yes, the KDE team
had been busily REMOVING functionality which in their youth and
inexperience, thought were extraneous.

Now they're busily restoring functionality which never should have
been removed in the first place.  Seigo may be talented, but he's
also a first-rate jackass -- for one, putting out an alpha-test
quality package and then going around and announcing that it was
ready for the user-base (they eventually backtracked to admitting
that the only thing that was ready was the API, so that the application
devs would have a non-moving target to develop against).

Frankly, I don't trust the KDE 4 team.

A lot of them are on the openSuSE list, and far far FAR too much
double-talk and outright lies come from the KDE 4 devs.

It's too bad, because I *REALLY* like KDE -- I've been using
it since 1999.  Never before did an upgrade or major-release
version (1 to 2, or 2 to 3) cause my previous configuration
settings to be unused and/or (even worse) lost and forgotten
(not saved at log-out) because the all of the config-data
that wasn't being used yet was just thrown out upon reading.

Never...and I don't use that word lightly....***NEVER*** before
have I seen an app's developer tean have such an tangible and
aggresively hostile attitude towards the app's own userbase.