[mdlug] KDE 4

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 5 09:16:15 EST 2009

Michael Mikowski wrote:
> I have used KDE since pre 1.0,
So have I.

and am now using 4.2 (beta 2) and am quite impressed.

I am also very impressed, but the impression is very bad. But I am used
to being able to highly customize my KDE desktop.

>  Most of the features I missed from 3.5.x in 4.1.3 are back,

I spent half an hour looking for the "external task bar" option some
where in the brand new, dumbed down, interface before resorting to
Google. I have since learned that this feature, which I have used and
made an integral part of how I organize my work flow, has been removed.
Apparently the work around is to add a regular tool bar, and add to it
one widget, an embedded task bar.

All this took over an hour of my time, to accomplish one baby step back
toward the "square one" that was the highly satisfying look and feel of
KDE 3.5.10. This is not counting the time spent during previous looks at
KDE4.

How many other former features will be this much of a struggle to
re-realize? It is outrageous to have to fight to get back the
functionality I had before!

All in all KDE4 is a struggle for anyone who thinks they know KDE.

> along with a bunch of new ones.

> Stability seems very good -- I have yet to have any lock-up or even
> application crash since the upgrade 3 days ago.

<droll> Oh, bravo! </droll> Stability has not been an issue with KDE for
five or six years. To continue this would be a good thing, yes. I'm not
sure it's note worthy though.

Kwin now has most of the bling of Compiz + Metacity but appears more stable.

Sigh. I suppose this is an attraction to those who love sparkle. I'm
more interested in *useful* features.

>  I don't know if it is too "windows like," I guess I don't use windows
> enough to know.  Seems more mac-like to me.

I agree that the degree of "windows like"ness in appearance is not
important. But dumbing down the interface to make it look more like
Windows is. Surmising the motivations of programmers from the end
produce is really kind of a guessing game, but I would say they were
either trying to imitate Windows, or else they were changing things just
for the sake of changing things.

Take a look at  the "control panel" applet (what ever they call it). Is
it more usefull, as useful, or less useful, that the kcontrol applet
it's supposed to replace? I would vote for much less usefull, and
condescending to boot. I don't think its resemblance to Windows Control
Panel is coincidence.

> I say give Aaron Seigo a bit of credit for flexibility.

I know nothing of the personalities involved, except that I have been
calling them, who ever they are, a lot of names best not published on
this mailing list.

> For example, you can now revert to "just like windows -- icons
> everywhere" desktop in KDE 4.2 if you want.   As I understand it, he did
> not want this, but bowed to popular demand.

Options are good, more options generally better. A large set of options
calls for sensible defaults, and the definition of sensible is,
admittedly, subjective.

> So perhaps he is driven by
> ego, but at least he is driven, works very hard, and provides excellent
> code for all to use free of charge.

SuSE is, and has long been, a major sponsor of the KDE project, and I
have purchased (full retail) the following SuSE versions:
   SuSE Linux 5.2
   SuSE Linux 5.3
   SuSE Linux 6.0
   SuSE Linux 6.1
   SuSE Linux 6.2
   SuSE Linux 6.3 (but I skipped 6.4 because 6.3 worked so well.)
   SuSE Linux Professional  7.0
   SuSE Linux Professional  7.1
   SuSE Linux Professional  7.2
   SuSE Linux Professional  7.3
   SuSE Linux Professional  8.0
   SuSE Linux Professional  8.1
   SuSE Linux Professional  8.2
   SuSE Linux Professional  8.3
   SuSE Linux Professional  9.0
   SuSE Linux Professional  9.1
   SuSE Linux Professional  9.2
   SuSE Linux Professional  9.3
   SuSE Linux Professional 10.0
   SuSE Linux Professional 10.2
   SuSE Linux Professional 10.3

Some might call me a chump, but I felt like I was helping the free
software movement, and I really liked the printed manuals. But I also
feel kind of like a paying customer. And I feel quite ill used by the
latest KDE versions. I admit that I have only dabbled with them on
virtual machines mostly. I haven't actually "used" them because, so far,
they are unusable to me.

Raymond McLaughlin