[mdlug] Laptop Hardware issues

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 26 14:56:45 EST 2009

Michael Rudas wrote:
>> --- Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
>>> The problem: Upon power up a more or less normal POST seems to start,
>>> but the display never lights, and after about 12 seconds it powers off
>>> for about 5 seconds, then starts the cycle over.
>
> --- Robert Meier wrote:
>> I suspect a bad power supply.
>
> As someone who has repaired hundreds of switching power supplies, I
> agree with Bob--the power supply is likely defective or marginal,
> probably a bad electrolytic capacitor.  MANY manufacturers have been
> stung this way, still.  The bad cap may possibly be on the laptop's
> motherboard, though the power supply is more likely.  It should be a
> nice laptop once you get it working.

By power supply do you mean the brick that I plug in the wall? This was
something that the customer lost. Actually the customer lost the
original, bought a replacement then returned it when it still didn't
work. I received the laptop with a dead battery and happened to have the
power brick for my larger DV900 series laptop around. I used it to
charge the battery.

So I would say that this has been pretty well swapped out.

Thanks
Raymond McLaughlin