[mdlug] External Floppy Drive

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:00:13 EST 2009

Joseph C. Bender wrote:
> Peter Bart wrote:
>> 	Sorry, I should have been more specific. A USB to Serial DB9 adapter
>> such as this one
>> <http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/273222/Belkin-USB-To-Serial-Cable-Adapter/>
>>

> Peter,
>
> 	No, it won't.  They're both just peripheral devices hanging on the hub,
> there's no association that occurs without a host computer to drive it.

The assumption here is:

USB
peripheral - USB hub - DB9 adapter - RS-232 Port - computer.

Joseph is correct, because USB requires a host computer, and the
host computer doesn't see the USB Hub (it only sees a plain
old RS-232 interface).

What *WILL* work (but not for you) is

RS-232 Peripheral - RS-232 Port - DB-9 Adapter - USB HUB - computer

In this case, there is an unbroken chain of USB connections from
the computer's internal USB hub out to the USB connection closest
to the peripheral.