[mdlug] VM Ware and 3D was Re: What you've all been waiting for: A Linux user's review of Windows 7 Beta

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Feb 23 15:05:01 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:16:43 -0500
Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Peter Bart
> <peter at petertheplumber.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 20:41 -0500, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> >> Better get your comments in before the Windows fanboyz flood it.
> >> http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2009/02/linux-users-review-of-windows-7-beta.html
> >
> > Dear Jeff,
> >        I read your entry regarding VM Ware with interest. I'll have
> > to try and get SIMS running again with your tips. It was
> > agonizingly slow. Not much interest in Vista, I'm afraid. ___I
> > finally broke down though. I'm trying to get XP installed with the
> > SATA drivers, and then openSUSE for a dual boot right now. Just for
> > the SIMS.
> >

> As I pointed out in the Windows 7 beta review the experimental 3D
> support in VMware Player didn't help Aero.  My ECAD system doesn't use
> 3D so it has no affect on that.  The Sims may require more 3D
> functions than the experimental support offers.

    Hmmmm, I blew right by that. It might, I'm over my head here. I did manage to get 3d enabled in Workstation 5 and I posted how I did it. I simply managed to pull together other peoples work, and I listed the links. It was agonizingly slow to start, I think once it got started it was sort of playable. Not enough to make it fun though, my girlfriend quit playing.

> The Sims (Complete Collection) is also a problem for one of my users.
> The AppDB indicates that it was still failing as of 1.1.9 but the
> current version of Wine is 1.1.15 so it may be worth a test:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=768

    Yes it will be. I really want something to compare it to, hence the xp dual boot.

> Copy protection is probably the culprit.

    I'll take your word for it. My need for VM Ware evaporated when the one tool I had that required Windows was stolen. Right about the same time Linux kernel updates made usb ports unavailable from the guest OS, in that version of Workstation, which made it unuseable for me. Even at that, I'll probably pop for a new version of Workstation. I have a whole stack of vendor programs just waiting for a run.

Best Regards,
--
Peter The Plumber sm

Sent from a mobile Internet Tablet