[mdlug] OT: Comcast rant

Dan DeSloover dand at zifferent.net
Mon Feb 23 09:21:19 EST 2009

Having worked phone tech support for AT&T Broadband, way back when (when
they still did support in US.) I can confirm that they feel that they have
every right to block incoming traffic to your network. Whether they are
correct or not is separate matter. Actually, I'm surprised support didn't
mention any of this as soon as the issue of running a server came up.

Your options are few, you can pony up the extra dough and get a business
account. They'll give you a static IP (or a few), the ability to host a
domain and run servers unfettered on your network.

Or maybe it's possible to get a different ISP under "equal access"
provisions. You may pay a bit more, but it might be worth it to get out
from under Comcast's thumb.