[mdlug] OT: Comcast rant

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Sat Feb 21 22:36:51 EST 2009

Try a tracert from your home network outbound,  Then also tracert from the internet into your home network.  Compare the two.  Does the inbound one stop at one of the devices listed on the outbound one?

Provide both tracert results to the technical people handling the ticket. They should be able to see that the traffic ends on their system.

-- Michael <newmaniese at gmail.com> wrote:
After the help I got from everyone on this list a few weeks ago I finally
set up my home network and it has been great. Thanks to everyone.
This regards trying to access my computer from the outside world. I finally
go things together to have port forwarding from the router and life was
great. I was able to ssh into my home computer, and finally through a nice
tunnel was able to listen to the media at my house over a daap beacon. I was
in heaven.

It appears that Comcast didn't want to keep me happy. I no longer have
access to my computer from outside. My ip address hasn't changed, nothing on
the computer has changed. Even a traceroute to the ip address dies at a
Comcast station in Southfield. After about 3 hours and at least one
representive hanging up on me, Comcast finally opened a ticket, saying they
will get back to me sometime soon (surprise still no callback), but also
throwing in there that this is probably not anything they will fix.

So beside complaining about Comcast, which is quickly becoming one of my
favorite past times, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for
A.) getting around this restriction, B.) actually getting through to
Comcast, that they are not providing me with full internet access.

Thanks,

Michael