[mdlug] Anyone used TrueCrypt?

Mike Ward unforgiven24 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 09:58:13 EST 2009

I've used truecrypt, and for a USB drive I just did a usual encrypted file
rather than actually encrypting the whole thing. Reason being, I want to be
able to hand my USB drive to my know-nothing-about-encryption friend and
tell him "just run truecrypt, it's on there, and the password is foo".
Truecrypt has this nice option where it'll install itself to a "truecrypt"
directory on the USB drive's root, and I think even auto-run, so they don't
need to have it installed already, that sort of thing.

It does, however, limit you to about 4GB per volume on a VFAT fs. For me,
that was annoying, but acceptable.