[mdlug] Meeting topic for tomorrow?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:40:20 EST 2009

gib at juno.com wrote:

> I would like to here an introduction rather than a upgrade
> discussion too.  This would fit into a more general topic
> of why you would want to use this type of software.  Which
> would fit into a topic that shows off open source.

Postgres has roots in the 1980's Berkeley releases (not just
the BSD distros... i'm talking about BSD 4.1-4.4, which was
actually a project of the UC Berkeley Electrical Engineering
and Computer Science (EECS) department, funded by DARPA.

As implied by the name, Postgres is inspired by the 1960's/70's
database system called INGRES.