[mdlug] Odd problem w/remote X on Ubuntu 8.10

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Feb 13 10:50:41 EST 2009

I'm having a strange problem with Firefox on Ubuntu 8.10 displaying on
a remote X desktop running on Windows. Yes, this is a complicated
situation.

 I have a Linux box at work, but it doesn't have a dual-head video card.
My Windows box does. So I run Cygwin's X server on the Windows side, ssh
in to my Linux box, and remotely display the Linux apps on the Windows
desktop. (Note: I don't use ssh's X tunneling; I use xhost on the
Windows box, and set the DISPLAY variable on the Linux box, so it's
straight unencrypted over the network.

 I run Firefox on the Linux box, and display it on the Windows box. This
worked fine up until a few weeks ago, when I moved the box up from
Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10. Now, things display, but trying to fill in text
boxes or bring up a right-click menu take up to seven seconds to
respond. Very weird, and annoying. These delays don't show up when I use
the Linux box's desktop directly (i810 graphics and all). Everything
else seems to be about the same speed, just text boxes and pop-up menus
are unaccountably and irritatingly slow.

 I tried using Xming, a different X server for Windows, but the same
problem appeared. I suspect it's on the Ubuntu side, especially since it
showed up moving to 8.10, but I can't figure out what it might be.
Anyone else run into something like this?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                     (313) 227-2317

 Here, Iraq, take our Constitution. We're not using it anyway.
                    -- Robin Willams