[mdlug] Mint 6, SSH and disconnects

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Fri Feb 13 08:37:34 EST 2009

dw at maserator.com wrote:
> Thanks fro adding that Joesph,
>
> I weas unaware that WOW still uses a Cisco CMTS/DHCP System.  My company
> has very few of those left in high population areas.

	Actually, it's the Arris CMTS headend as well as the telephony modems,
last I knew.

	I was unclear on what I said, perhaps.  I'll rephrase.

	Their DHCP system honors DHCP RELEASE being sent at it.  The reason I
know that their system does is because I have a Cisco router running as
a VPN device attached as one of my three allowed devices on their system
(Every customer gets three IP addresses as part of their account).  When
that device is sent a reload (reboot) command, it sends a DHCP RELEASE
at the DHCP server, which then releases the IP back into the pool.  Upon
reload, the Cisco does a DHCP REQUEST and gets assigned an IP, but it'll
be a different one.  Every single time.

I tested this one afternoon by doing 20 router reloads in a row.  I got
20 different IP addresses.  As this acts as one half of an IPSEC tunnel,
this is a Bad Thing.  Mind you, power outages aren't a problem, the
router never gets a chance to say it's letting go of the IP.  *grin*

The trick was, that any time I have to tell the thing to reload, I have
to go into it via the internal interface and tell it to shut down the
external interface.  Then I do a reload without saving that
configuration.  With the external interface shut down, it doesn't have
any way of telling the DHCP server it's done with the IP.  *grin*

Hope this is a bit more clear.

-JCB