[mdlug] Who's in charge of this group? - Inter group meeting BerkeleyTIP-Global August 2 Saturday

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Mon Feb 9 21:53:19 EST 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Mark Thuemmel wrote:
>> I have been joining in on the BerkleyTIP the last two months (first
>> Saturday around 3:00 Michigan time.  For me it was fun getting on Ekiga
>> and IRC and chatting with people with similar interests.
>>
>> With Penguicon once a year,  MUG and BerkleyTIP once a month, Marcel
>> Gagne (http://www.marcelgagne.com/mytvshow.html) Tuesday nights at 8:30
>> I still want more, so I thought I'd take a stab at trying to organize
>> something for Thursday nights that I could enjoy at home.
>>

> Gagne's "french chef" routine/new-orleans-cliche gets old real fast.
>
> Occasionaly is OK.  Hitting the audience across the face with it
> several times in every column is beyond a bit much.

http://www.virtuallug.org

Aaron,

I would imagine you are not the only one annoyed by an extra couple of
paragraphs each month with François, the wine selection, and chef talk
in general, but he wins Linux Journal Readers' Choice Award basically
every year.  Check http://www.marcelgagne.com/ljcooking.html for a list
of his articles (8 years).  Me, personally, I skip the chef stuff and
read the rest of the article and often get inspired to try something new
with Linux.

I don't think he targets you as his audience, but tries to make it
friendly for newbies to get things done in Linux.  This sells magazines.
 Frankly, I don't think he enjoys the chef either, but I think he is
stuck.  Frankly, I'm not his PR Manager, I just enjoy his stuff.

If you could site some of the articles you have made public (every
month), I'd be happy to compare.....Easy to be a critic, tough to try to
do better.

I'd be happy to give you credit for the talk you did on INIT (a while
back), but again, it is a whole different audience.

In my case, I'm looking to make it easy for people on Thursday nights to
freely share open source information on multimedia conferencing on Linux
and you are peeing on my parade.

Wanna offer something better then Ekiga, go ahead, wanna offer something
benefical to the MDLUG group, go ahead, otherwise maybe some will think
you are "beyond a bit much".

If you feel so strongly, then why don't you call in some Tuesday night
to Marcel's show and say so to him in person.  I hope I'm there to see
the results.

Please don't make Gary jump in to moderate us, just consider
contributing instead of criticizing.

Did you want to RSVP for the Thursday night call or have questions?  If
not, I beg of you, move along, nothing for you to see here.  In fact, I
won't have anything further to say to you on this list on this topic, so
feel free to get the last word.  Maybe I am out of line and wrong for
trying.

My apologizes to the list with my rant, and I'll leave it at this, and
hope you might consider trying http://www.virtuallug.com Thursday night
with a positive attitude.