[mdlug] [Fwd: [opensuse-offtopic] And now the Manchurian microchip]

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Mon Feb 2 15:54:14 EST 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Wow.
>
> This is as startling as in the late 80's when George Goble
> (author of the first multi-CPU Unix kernel, and builder of
> the first dual-VAX to run it on) came back from a security
> conference visibly distressed.

<rest of post snipped>

This article is full of fear and devoid of information.

If they had *proof* of such a thing, I would expect to be able to find
technical details and where it was mounted in the systems and what chips
it is a part of if embedded into existing silicon.  You would think that
they'd say in the article "This is hidden in the southbridge of every
chipset fabbed in China" or some such.

If such functionality is there, one would expect to be able to find
information on detection of such hardware and how it might phone home,
so that network defenses could potentially be constructed to combat the
problem.

There are far easier attack vectors than phantom Chinese silicon.

Really, this article is no better than the tinfoil-hatters nattering on
about those pesky black helicopters.

-JCB