[mdlug] DSL Bell Telephone

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 11:09:10 EST 2009

Greetings:

So this is not directly a Linux question, but I'll swing it by you all
anyway. My wife and I recently bought a new house, we've had AT&T uverse and
loved it, but its not available at our new location. As such we setting up a
DSL only account, AT&T calls it a dry loop account, and its scheduled to be
tunred on on Tuesday.

Part of the agreement between my wife and I was that in the new house I
could set up a "man cave" in the basement and have a whole corner dedicated
to my "penguin computer." In the basement, the only phone jack, at least
that I can find, is hooked into an old Bell Telephone that is permanently
mounted on the wall.

I couldn't easily remove this phone to find a jack. I'm not sure if its
actually permanently wired in or what. I'm not even sure if this line that's
connected to it will send the DSL signal or what, as Its obviously an old
connection. Is there a hidden common phone jack that I can connect a DSL
filter to? Is there a way to splice into the old phone line in another
location? I am able to find the copper line going to it threw the pantry in
the basement.

At this time I do not have available, nor the funds to purchase, as wireless
router and Wireless card for my PC so that we can wire the DSL modem
upstairs.

On a lighter note, when I called AT&T to make the switch over the
representative asked my which Operating System I had:

I told her" Xubuntu 8.10."
She says "No sir, I mean do you have XP or Vista?"
I said, "Neither."
"Oh, a Macintosh then?"
"No, Xubuntu, that's Linux in case you wanted to know."
"Uhm, that's not a choice"
"Well then just check Vista, that's what my wife uses on her laptop."

Jim