[mdlug] Recommendation for sound card.

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Aug 13 08:37:07 EDT 2009

> From: Michael Rudas

> You can get a good, used Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! card for
> about $10.  Linux loves them.  A bonus: improved performance.
> On-board AC '97 sound sucks up CPU cycles, even with fast multi-core
> CPUs.  Why waste 'em?

 I second the recommendation for SBLive cards. They have good audio
quality (not professional, but 'professional' requires a *lot* of money)
and they have an added bonus - hardware mixing. They can receive sound
from multiple applications at once and mix all the streams together. So
there's no issues with PulseAudio fighting with ALSA and ESD and OSS
over access to the sound card.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                        (313) 227-2317

  "Rune Slot is the first culturally accurate depiction of what
   might have happened if one of the Vikings' slot machines had
     gone nuts, walked off with their Sorrowbringer, and then
 started murdering them. It's also got the best payouts in town!
       Though it might eat your soul." - Old Man Murray