[mdlug] global linux helpline

Dean Durant mdlug at wowway.com
Thu Aug 6 09:01:07 EDT 2009

What would it take to do this?

There is a voicemail only number that I have. It's a magic jack. I am prepared to give out this number. Since they don't support linux, I can't use it, so I still have a landline. People around the country, or around the world, could call with their linux questions. If people want to call with their Unix questions, they can, but I don't know if I will be able to help. I would even field MacOS questions, except I don't have one and it's been years since I supported them. I would forward questions I couldn't answer to this list, unless that wouldn't work out. Or if not, some other list.

I get the voicemails forwarded to my email as .wav files, which I can then listen to on my home system. It's kind of an experiment. I'm not worried about prank calls. I think the honor system will keep them to a minimum. If somebody calls and pranks the number, the Magic Jack people should be able to trace it, right? Some people call from untraceable numbers, but maybe there is a way to block this?

I have plenty of room in my email, and it's all free. It's a major search provider that recently announced a distro they would be launching in 2010. I can always disable the forwarding of the wave files. Or forward them to one of my WOW accounts, which I don't use. The voicemails could be forwarded to anyone who wanted to work on the issues presented in the calls.

And of course, I wouldn't do windows. Not for free. Maybe there would be some kind of outrageous premium for windows support, like maybe $500/ hour, and no guarantees.

unemployed people could take the calls and maybe prove what they can do, or what they know. There's already a website offering free linux help. I just don't know how much publicity they've gotten.

The idea may be a little rough around the edges, but usually you start small and polish things up if it grows.

Depending on the e-response I get (or not), I may try to make the meeting and pitch the idea.