[mdlug] Moving to Debian 64bit - Lessons Learned?

Brian brian at dangerbacon.com
Sat Aug 1 17:35:01 EDT 2009

Since it can't access all of the memory directly through the cpu the
kernel has to create a structure to map requests to the higher memory
addresses.  This structure has to be stored in regions that are
directly addressible by the cpu.  If you take a look at /proc/meminfo
this is displayed as low mem and high mem(addressed virtually).  For
it's work the kernel can only operate in low mem.  Because of this
it's actually quite possible to crush an OS's performance on 32 bit
hardware by having too much memory.

--
Brian