[mdlug] Screen copy

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:08:26 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Raymond McLaughlin
<driveray at ameritech.net> wrote:
> If either of you does "exit" or <Ctrl><D> you will both be booted out of
> the screen session. The correct way for one participant to "leave" the
> screen session is to "detach" with <Ctrl><A> <D>

Two solutions:

1) alias exit to something else:
$ alias exit="echo Use exit.really"
$ alias exit.really="\exit"

2) ignore EOF for the shell
$ set -o ignoreeof

> It will take some co-operation and co-ordination on both parts to take
> turns typing.

You can turn a multiuser screen into an poor-man's chat session by
prepending a #.  For example:

$  # this is a note

Another tool that allows you to share shell sessions is kibitz, which
is part of the expect-tcl8.3 package on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine.  It
resides in /usr/share/doc/expect-tcl8.3/examples/kibitz

Regards,
- Robert