[mdlug] Inexpensive printer recommendation

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Sep 24 14:22:36 EDT 2008

R. Kannan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation/disrecommendation on inexpensive usb
> printers to be shared between Windows Vista, XP and Linux boxes? Inkjet
> printers are fine. I don't to spend more than $100-150 for inkjet printers
> that don't last for a long time.
>
> Thanks

I have been recommending inexpensive laser printers to people who don't
need cheap color (you didn't say). The biggest upside to laser printers
is that they don't dry out. With an ink jet printer you will need to
replace the cartridges every two years or so, whether you use them or not.

Without naming any particular models, I would say it's hard to go wrong
with HP printers, they have been very strong in providing Linux support,
and are generally well made printers. If you go with HP I also recommend
that you install the "hp-toolbox" to manage it.