[mdlug] How to rip CD faster?

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 20:42:22 EST 2008

Brian wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com>wrote:
>

>> I starting on converting my CD collection (300+) to digital. I started with
>> Grip, but it it takes almost 30 to 40 minutes to rip just one CD.
>>

> That seems far too slow to be the fault of the ripping software.  I'd
> venture a guess at saying perhaps DMA isn't enabled for that cd drive.  You
> can check this and enable it if it's not with:
>
> hdparm -d <device>
>
> If it's not enabled run:
>
> hdparm -d1 <device>
>
> to turn it on.

That sounds like a clue.  I use GRIP, and a lack of DMA can screw you
into the ground.  I do use "Those GUI tools".  The GUI interface should
not slow the process down, and if windblows is doing it faster, it ain't
the fault of the GUI.

I would look at the DMA setting.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org