[mdlug] Latest version of flash player crashes firefox

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu May 15 03:11:16 EDT 2008

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM, R. Kannan <rkannan at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed  firefox 2.0.0.14 recently but the flashplayer was old. When I installed the latest version of flashplayer plugin (9.0) installed, firefox crashes every time I go to website with flash. I had flash-block enabled. I un-installed flash-block but that did not help either. I tried both the rpm and tarred version of the flash-block from the Adobe site. The only option was to remove the plugin from /opt/firefox/plugins.
>
> I've had some occasional problems with it also.  What version are your
> using?  Enter "about:plugins" in the address bar to check.
> I'm about to upgrade to Ubuntu Hardy Heron so I'll be using 3.0 beta
> 5.  Hopefully that fixes it.

At the MUG meeting last night Jorge Castro's presentation on Hardy Heron
touched on the Firefox 3.0 Beta issue. Jorge reports that 3.0 is such an
improvement that even the Beta has far fewer problems than 2.x, and
recommends just using it.

For what it's worth, I still use 2.0.0.14, and I have flash blocker
installed. When I do chose to run a flash app, especially video, I
expect I have about a 50% chance of firefox becoming unresponsive when I
try to close the page. I'm not sure which is worse, the flash problem,
or the fact that I've gotten so used to it that I almost accept it. :(

Raymond McLaughlin