[mdlug] Boot floppy in knoppix

R. Kannan rkannan at peoplepc.com
Thu May 1 09:42:46 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have a very old system which does not boot on cdrom (No jokes please :-)) and whose hard drives I want to clean up before discarding (recycling).

I tried to create knoppix boot floppies using the instructions at

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Boot_Floppy_HowTo

on another machine which boots from CD. When I tried to boot the same machine with a boot floopy,it prompted me for the second floppy with...

"Insert floppy with miniroot and press ENTER"

and when I inserted the second floppy and pressed 'ENTER', it failed with

Error 15: file not found

I should mention that the 'grub-install' did not find all my devices and so I added the following line to device.map in the floppy manually.

(cd)<TAB>/dev/scd0

I am not sure about the syntax of the device name here. Should that be /dev/hdc instead?

TIA for any help

RajK