[mdlug] DEFCON at Big Lots for $6, too.

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Mar 31 16:34:18 EDT 2008

A while back I posted about finding Introversion Software's game Darwinia at
Big Lots for $6. While on vacation last week, I found DEFCON at a Kentucky
Big Lots, also for $6. I snapped it up immediately. Introversion makes good,
unusual, thoughtful games and I'd been meaning to get DEFCON at some point
anyway, having played the demo.

 It's based on the simulation contained within the movie "WarGames". The look
is very similar, and the idea is the same - conduct a global thermonuclear
war, and lose the least.

 All of their games can be played on Linux, with first-class ports. You can
download the DEFCON demo here:

 http://www.everybody-dies.com/downloads/

 All you need to convert it to a full version is the authorization code
found on the manual of a boxed set. It ran beautifully at full speed and
resolution on my laptop (1024x768, Geforce2Go 16MB).

 At $6, it's a steal. I'm pretty sure it'll be at at least a few Big Lots
in Michigan, too.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                 (313) 227-2317

  Modern deductive method: 1) Devise hypothesis. 2) Apply
 for grant.  3) Perform experiments. 4) Revise hypothesis.
     5) Backdate revised hypothesis. 6) Publish.