[mdlug] Sendmail configuration

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Sat Mar 22 11:53:20 EDT 2008

Rich Clark <rrclark at rrclark.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Deepan wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>I am using sendmail via php mail function to send
>>emails. However few servers reject my mails with
>>the error 'Sender address rejected: Domain not
>>found', since mails from my server are sent as
>>email at localhost.localdomain. How do I change this
>>to a valid domain name ? We only own a public IP.
>>we dont really have a domain name, is it possible
>>to use IP ?
>>

>Personally, my postfix server rejects anything that can't say helo with a
>resolvable FQDN.
>
>This link may be helpful:
>
>http://www.sendmail.org/m4/site_config.html

I used to host commercial accounts with Sendmail... until 1999 or so.
When I migrated to Postfix it was painless and has been ever since.
Check out the stats for both - Postfix can process the same volume as
Sendmail with half the resources. Postfix is much simpler to configure,
etc...

But to answer your question specifically, your problem is most likely
not a sendmail problem but the fact that your email server is on an IP
address that does not have a corresponding reverse DNS entry....

If your SMTP server is on www.codeshepherd.com - it translated forward
to 83.145.216.65 and this has a reverse DNS of whitedwarf.kaski-net.net
- they do not match so many mail servers including my own will not
accept this as it appears you are a SPAMMER...

-dave