[mdlug] Export homedirs via NFS and Samba?

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Tue Mar 18 08:29:04 EDT 2008

Is this a common setup?  I have an NFS/Samba server set up.  I am
currently exporting users' home directories.  I want the users to be
able to mount their home directories on UNIX or Windows, but here is the
issue I am having.  The server is joined to the domain MI.  I can export
/home/gwojtak via NFS just fine.  I can export [homes] in Samba just
fine.  The problem comes up with permissions - UNIX, of course just sets
ownership to gwojtak on newly created files.  If I try to access my home
directory via Samba, it is getting the expected winbind mangling,
'MI+gwojtak' and permission is denied to even pull up the UNC.  Changing
the ownership on the Samba server on /home/gwojtak to MI+gwojtak makes
it work properly on Windows, but then breaks NFS ownerships.

Is this not a good setup?  What am I doing wrong, or should I not even
be doing this?  It seems to me that this would be a common
implementation?  This is a Red HATE Enterprise Linux 5.1 server.

Thanks!

--
Greg Wojtak
http://www.yesthatsright.net/