[mdlug] HP Linux Printer At Big LOTS?

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Mon Mar 17 16:12:44 EDT 2008

Jeff Hanson wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM, David Lane <dcl400m at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I have had a Lexmark printer, It did not work for Linux.
>> I have had a Canon Pixma Printer, It did not work for Lunix.
>>

>I never liked Lexmark printers.  The ones I've used had bad paper
>handling and always skewed the printing.  Their Linux SDK only
>supports a few models.  I'm not sure if their other models require
>binary blobs that aren't in the SDK or no independant developers like
>their products enough to bother adding support for them.
>

>> I do know that HP has tools for OpenSuse, and I walk in to a Big LOTS, and there is a Deskjet D1415  for $26.00. There are similar models selling at Best Buy, and other stores for 69.00.  The only thing you have to deal with is that it does not come with is that you need to get black ink, it just comes with color.
>>

>That model isn't listed on HP's support site.  Maybe it's an OEM
>model.  I only found a forum post at Ubuntu about it not printing
>correctly.

My Lexmark is a color laser printer on the net with postscript, so works
well with Linux. It also has great quality so I am very happy with it.
Ink jets are like a cell phone - the device is almost free but the use
of it will cost you dearly. (Ink, especially if it has a chip in the
cartridge so you need to buy a zapper and hope it resets it when you
refill it)

-dave