[mdlug] Well, shucks - motherboard/CPU advice needed

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Mar 14 10:45:06 EDT 2008

> From: David Relson

> I'm running this board and it's working quite well.  When I got it, the
> SB600's USB didn't play nice with Linux so I installed a PCI USB card.
>  I don't know if the kernel has caught up to the chip, or not.

 Well, I ended up ordering the ECS A770M-A board. Cheap enough, and I just
don't trust ATI's drivers enough (yet). I can put a quad-core CPU in there
later, and the board supports up to 32GB RAM, which "ought to be enough for
anybody". :->

 The only downside I saw in reviews was that some of the chips on the
motherboard can run hot. But my case has plenty of fans (actually quite
noisy, really) so I'm not too worried about airflow. Plus, the new CPU
dissipates less heat than the two CPUs I had in there before.

 The only irritating thing is that MicroCenter took my order for memory,
and then said it was 'out of stock' and canceled that part of the order.
I ordered a different 2GB deal for about the same price, but that means
they get some extra shipping out of me. And, according to FedEx tracking,
the MB, CPU, and video card will arrive Saturday, but the memory won't
arrive until *next* Saturday, when we'll be on vacation. Oy.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

 "In the 1980s capitalism triumphed over communism. In the 1990s it
            triumphed over democracy." - David Korten