[mdlug] UNIX tips: Learn 10 good UNIX usage habits

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 12 03:47:42 EDT 2008

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> I used to use lots and lots of aliases when I was in college.
>
> Then I found that in the commercial world, it can become
> a pain in the neck...as you get used to having your
> aliases...and then when you're working in some other
> environment... poof... now you're typing things that
> don't work the way you want them to (if at all)

And don't forget sometimes different shells, or regular vi instead of
vim. Working in different environments requires flexibility. It might
help to have your preferred startup files on a thumb drive, or available
over the network.

In this vein, this command:
  w3m mdlug.org/contacts/president/scripts+scraps/home/.bashrc
will send the file to standard output, but
  w3m mdlug.org/contacts/president/scripts+scraps/home/.bashrc |source -
will not source this stdout.
It seems there should be a way to do this just using pipes, but I
haven't been able to do it without writing to a local file first.
Hmmm.