[mdlug] MDLUG Meeting March 8

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 7 02:58:27 EST 2008

MDLUG meeting at The Gaudior Academy in Inkster this Saturday 1230p to
230p??? At Gaudior Academy 27100 Avondale Avenue Inkster MI 48141
Please park on south (street) side of building.

This month's meeting features a presentation on digital photography by
Bill Buchanan. Mr. Buchanan  <http://www.thepixelmeister.com/> is
Chairman of the Electronic Imaging Division of Detroit's Photographic
Guild <http://www.thephotoguild.org/home.htm>.

I saw Mr. Buchanan's presentation "Making Pictures as Opposed to Taking
Pictures" at the January SEMCO (South East Michigan Computer
Organization). I was impressed with the quality of the presentation, Mr.
Buchanan's knowledge of the subject, and the software agnosticism of his
presentation. He focused on camera features and functions, and
photographic techniques. When he did mention software he made it clear
that there was a wide variety of applications to choose from, and spoke
well of the GIMP.

After the (SEMCO) meeting I got one of his cards, and asked if he might
be willing to give his talk to us. After making further contact he
agreed. While not Linux specific (Mr. Buchanan currently uses an *cough*
other OS but has had some good experiences with Linux) I though that our
group would find his presentation informative, interesting, and a bit of
a change of pace.

I'm hoping for a good turn out.
See you all there
Raymond McLaughlin