[mdlug] Transfering /home with scp

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:34:31 EST 2008

Hello Peter,

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net> wrote:
>         I'm finally at the point of transferring all my files to my new
>  notebook. The old one is a T30 Thinkpad running opensuse 10.3 and the
>  new one is a T61 Thinkpad running opensuse 10.3. Can I simply use scp
>  to copy the entire /home?

You could, although as others have mentioned, rsync is probably a
better tool for the task.

> Or are there files in /home that would be
> specific to the hardware/operating system it's on?

Shouldn't be.  But it might be worth testing if you do esoteric work
with your laptop.

Some questions:

1) How big is /home on the T30?  df -hT /home
2) How big is /home on the T60?  df -hT /home
3) How do you plan to connect the two drives?  Ether network, wifi,
USB, Firewire, other?

Regards,
- Robert