[mdlug] Transfering /home with scp

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 4 08:21:53 EST 2008

Aaron,

>>> # cd /home
>>> # tar cpf - * | ssh -l root target_host '(cd /home; tar xpf - )'

> It's much simpler to simply connect the the two computers
> to a hub which is not connected to anything else, or to
> use a cross-over cable between the two.

<UNTESTED>
bash# find /home -depth -print | cpio -ov |
>     rsh root at target_host '(cd /home; cpio -idv)'
</UNTESTED>

> Then the two machines are physically isolated from the rest
> of the world, and no encryption is needed.

Encryption is not needed for secure or isolated LAN transfer.

People suggest ssh because most distros supply it along with tools
for its easy configuration.  Because of internet security concerns,
most distros no longer provide rsh and other insecure (by default) tools.

AFAIK, opensuse-10.3, by default, supplies only ssh for scriptible
remote command execution.  IMHO, if you have more than one computer
in your LAN, I would expect you to frequently move small files
between them, and so rsh, and telnet soon become worth the effort
to install and care to use.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Bob

  "The saddest aspect of life right now,
   is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
     -- Isaac Asimov