[mdlug] Lou Novak asked us to send you this post from Engadget

lnovak1 at ford.com lnovak1 at ford.com
Mon Mar 3 17:00:24 EST 2008

   From: [1]Engadget
   rted-sync/
   Sent from: [3]Lou Novak (lnovak1 at ford.com)
   Sent to: mdlug at mdlug.org
   Comments: Some speculation on the future of Sync, the system found in
   Ford products. No mention of vehicle control systems however.

                 [4]Microsoft speculates on ad-supported Sync

  03-02-2008

   Apparently, Microsoft has plans for [5]Sync that extend beyond the
   standard voice-activation scheme they've got going right now. The
   company wants to deliver a wider range of network connectivity for
   in-car use, and they're debating the possibility of moving away from
   subscription-based services to an ad-funded scenario. What exactly
   does that mean? We'll let Martin Thall, general manager of Microsoft's
   Automotive Business Unit explain: "We know where you are and we know
   where you're headed," he says, seemingly unaware of the Orwellian
   implications. "We could target that advertising directly to your car."
   You getting that? Targeted ads. In your car. While you're driving.
   Apparently, execs don't think you'll mind being bombarded inside your
   vehicle because you're, "used to advertising in the car. We hear ads
   on the radio and see billboards on the road." Of course, this is
   speculation on future technologies, so nothing is set in ston e --
   hopefully someone comes to their senses before our hovercar interiors
   glitter with holographic spam.