[mdlug] USB burners

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 01:10:37 EDT 2008

--- Raymond Ingles wrote:
>> From: gib at juno.com
>
>> Yup, my first burner was a HP Series 8200 CD burner.  Worked
>> like a champ.  You just need good hardware, software and media.
>
>  There's another possibility. I just picked up a little gadget off eBay,
> though you can get them in stores. It's a USB cable with a block on one
> end. That block has plugs for IDE, notebook IDE, and SATA. It came with
> a little power supply that can power a hard drive.

The same external USB interface is also available for $14.95 at Micro
Center, brand: Inland (Micro Center's owner/house brand).  Connect the
interface with care, though -- the 40-pin header is a bit narrow and
easily offset to either side of the correct position.

That caveat aside, it's of decent quality, a good value, and works
great for salvaging data from a pulled hard drive or for testing a
CD-ROM drive.

~~ Mikey