[mdlug] OT - Mysterious wireless outage

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Sat Jul 19 21:04:29 EDT 2008

Several things you can try ... ping, traceroute for example.

Try opining a console then entering the following:
traceroute 208.67.222.222

-- "R. Kannan" <rkannan at peoplepc.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have noticed that my wireless is down for an hour or two in the afternoons (5:00-7:00 PM timeframe) almost everyday. Sometimes it does last up to 3 hrs (like it did yesterday). Sometimes, this is fixed by power cycling the router (Linksys WRT4G - operating in G-Only mode using WPA shared key for encryption), usually fixes the problem but unfortunately requires a reboot. I have been ignoring this prolem since it is at minor irritation level but yesterday it lasted for almost 4 hrs.

My theory is that there is some interference in the 2.4GHz freq range which produces low signal-to-noise. Would any other appliances cause this interference? How do I go about finding the culprit?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Raj K