[mdlug] Best File System for 1TB Raid5

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:47:04 EDT 2008

as others have mentioned ext3 is plenty stable.  Your errors were
(almost certainly) not due to ext3 bugs but hardware errors.

ext3 is arguably not the "best"; it has some old design constraints
which can be a bummer.  I think, for instance, that directories are
stored as linked lists, which makes parsing a large directory very,
very slow.   It has some other speed issues in some cases.

I think ext3 is limited to 4TB filesystems but I might be wrong.
Not an issue in this particular case.

It defintely pre-allocates inodes, which is kind of a bummer.
You have to devote a non-trivial amount of space to inodes, and it's
useless for anything else; and if you run out, you're hosed.
XFS and JFS both dynamically allocate inodes.

the wikipedia articles have a good summary of each filesystem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFS

Personally, i use XFS.  JFS and ext3 are both also reasonable choices
and for the majority of the cases any of them will be fine.

ps - if you *do* use XFS, make sure to get a recent kernel; the XFS
folks have been actively working the last couple years.  If you use
centos/RHEL, there is an XFS kernel module RPM in centosplus that
has recent XFS code.