[mdlug] Best File System for 1TB Raid5

Joe St.Clair linux at ksimachine.com
Wed Jul 9 07:40:37 EDT 2008

I have a Promise SmartStor NS4300N.  It has (4) 500gb SATA drives in
it.  The box runs "Busybox" Linux,
has a Fasttrak PCI RAID controller, uses EXT3 file system and is being
used by several work
stations.  I mount the network drive via Samba and NFS.  I have the
drive about 30% full and have not
had any data problems.  I use the box primarily for large CAD files.
The box has been running for over 1
year and the only time it has been off is during a power failure.  The
box is connected to a APC UPS and
will perform automatic shutdown in the case of a power failure.  I also
have (2) Linux boxes running XFS
file systems.  If I had my choice I would have use XFS but it was not a
choice on the Promise box.

Joe