[mdlug] Linux promotional opportunity at Micro Center

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 02:06:21 EST 2008

On 1/29/08, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com> wrote:
> Cool.
>
> When I was at Purdue in the 1980's, it was a 100% Unix campus.

MIT has been for a long time too, and I even worked with a guy from
Project Athena when I was at Cisco.  But, was general Purdue IT staff
trained to troubleshoot UNIX as their job?  I mean, the people I am
talking about are the same staff that are paid to fix problems on
students' Windows/Mac computers.  I guess you didn't have that Windows
problem back then :-)  What I mean is actually -- did Purdue provide
UNIX training to the IT staff?  And even if so, I would have to guess
that many people did not own their own computers (that's what labs
were for)!  But perhaps they had their own Macintoshes?  A picture of
me on the first computer I used ... I think its an Apple IIe.  I was
probably 2 or 3 years old in the picture, and it's probably
circa-1985...
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/220/42/9128660/n9128660_35452145_7945.jpg
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."