[mdlug] Nokia Buys Trolltech

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 04:54:16 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:58 AM, Michael Rudas <audiotech50 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

That's because you don't read my blog ;-)

>  I wonder what effect this
> will have on the KDE project?

It should be fantastic for KDE. At the very worst, it will be no
impact, but according to the open letter to the Open Source community,
Nokia will continue to release Qt and Qtopia under the GPL, and Nokia
intends to become a "Patron of KDE". Even if that all gets scrubbed
(which I doubt), KDE has a license to release the current version of
Qt under a BSD license if Trolltech should cease to release a GPL'd Qt
or cease to support it. I count this as nothing but good news for
everybody. Well, except maybe Microsoft, and Nokia's competitors.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/