[mdlug] ASSP update...

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 00:42:09 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Kulkis" <akulkis3 at hotpop.com>
To: "MDLUG's Main discussion list" <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:24 AM
Subject: Re: [mdlug] ASSP update...

> Mark Thuemmel wrote:
>> Michael ORourke wrote:
>>> Once you go live with ASSP, do you need to set a value to "spamSubject"?
>>> Or
>>> should it just block the messages and not deliver them?
>>> I'm a little unsure if I have the configuration set correctly.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>
>> If you mean "Prepend Spam Subject", I have mine blank.  My setup does
>> not deliver spam to the users, just to the /spam directory.
>
> Hope you don't have too many false positives...
> that could lead to some highly annoyed senders and/or recipients.

"too many false positives...", I can live with that.  :-)
If anything, my initial configuration (which I followed from the Getting
Started section of ASSP's wiki) was being a bit too liberal.  What I didn't
realize was that once you turn off the test modes, you then need to turn on
and configure each section seperately.  I guess I missed that part of the
documentation.  Now that I've got things tweaked a bit better, I'm seeing a
significant decrease in SPAM getting through.  I've only had the system up
and running for 8 days now and the "Non-Local mail blocked" cumulative
statistic is at 73.8% and climbing.  And since I last restarted the assp
daemon, the stats are even much higher.  So far I'm very impressed with
ASSP.

-Mike