[mdlug] 2007 IPv4 Address Use Report (fwd)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:36:04 EST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 8:59 AM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com> wrote:
> If that turns out to true, count me as absolutely amazed.

I did some research that brushed on this topic when I worked for
Cisco.  I used a pre-release version of Vista when I was testing the
security issues, but here is an article which claims the same...

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/02/07/how-vista-will-handle-ipv6.html

"""
IPv6 After Vista

In Vista (and Longhorn Server), however, a fundamental change has
taken place, for the Next Generation TCP/IP stack is now implemented
as a dual-layer architecture, not dual-stack. That means the two
network layer components for IPv4 and IPv6 share the same transport
layer components for TCP and UDP. It also means that IPv4 and IPv6
share a common framing layer at the bottom of the stack. And it means
that IPv4 and IPv6 are both enabled by default--there's no separate
protocol to install using the Network Connections folder--though it is
possible to disable IPv6 support at the physical layer in Vista if
you're in an all-IPv4 networking environment. But the idea is that
we're not likely to remain in such pure IPv4 environments for long as
more and more large enterprises (and possibly whole countries like
China, Japan, and South Korea) migrate their legacy IPv4 networks to
IPv6, so leaving IPv6 enabled by default is probably a good idea.
"""

I wrote a kind of funny tool to bring down local Vista networks, but
it is not really a critical remote flaw, just funny...
http://milw0rm.com/exploits/3926
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."