[mdlug] CMS opinions

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sat Jan 26 18:05:49 EST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 15:51, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> My employer is looking for a CMS for a new company web site.  The
> default option is SharePoint.  He would like to use third-party web
> site templates.  Has anyone had any experience with Joomla! or Mambo?

I recently used Joomla! for a CMS-ish project:  a database of my employer's
ISO 9000 compliance documents.  The things we liked were the classy-looking
templates, the WYSIWYG content editor, and the search function.  We didn't
like the limited options for ordering documents;  I ended up writing some
non-Joomla! PHP code for the actual document-index (it loads the config-file,
but nothing else).  It's mainly aimed at news- or blog-sites, and seems like
it would be good for a user-managed corporate homepage after redesigning the
template and removing a few of the dangerous features.

> What are the backend requirements?

LAMP, although the schema is fairly logical and I could probably write a
Hibernate mapping for the important parts.  I also successfully loaded
content using perl scripts during testing.

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <as4109 at wayne.edu> or