[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jan 23 11:56:15 EST 2008

> From: Jeff Hanson

> <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
> >  2. "sudo -s" - gets you a root command line prompt. That's what I use
> >     when I need to do extended operations as root.
>
> That doesn't work correctly:
> http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2007/12/root-ending-up-in-wrong-home-with-sudo.html

 Of course, not all programs exhibit this behavior; I haven't seen any major
issues with it, and it can be mildly convenient for "cd" to just take me to
my normal user home directory. Still, it's something to keep in mind, thanks
for pointing it out.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                            (313) 227-2317

 Novice electrician:
   Why should I waste time and money getting the right color wire?
   The electricity doesn't care.
 Experienced electrician:
   Electricity is color-blind.  Electricians are not.
                         -- unknown

 Novice programmer:
   Why should I waste time commenting code? The computer doesn't care.
 Experienced programmer:
   The computer is comment-blind.  Programmers are not.
                -- Dr. Robert J. Meier 1980